Education Assistant – Part-time Virtual Position
The Canadian Opera Company is looking for an energetic and responsible Education Assistant supported by the Canada Summer Jobs program, for 20 weeks from August 4 to December 18 (10-15 hours per week) to provide program support. In this role, the student will have the opportunity to assist with administrative duties, and complete program research for new digital initiatives at the COC. The Education Assistant will also participate in the planning and execution of in-person education and outreach events when it is safe to do so. This position reports directly to the Manager of Children, Youth and Family Programs, however the position will, from time to time, support other education and outreach initiatives as needed.
Note: This position will begin as a work-from-home virtual position until COVID19 re-openings allow for safe gatherings. Upon returning to the workplace, the assistant will work with the Manager of Children, Youth and Family Programs, to create a weekly schedule within the g - 5 p.m. work day. This position is meant to be flexible, and allow for students to continue working while completing post-secondary studies.
This internship is best suited for a student who has experience working or curating programming for children and young people, who is interested in the performing arts, arts education, and is comfortable working in various digital platforms and spaces.
The ideal intern:
- Has a background in music, visual, or performing arts;
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Embodies positivity, enthusiasm, and initiative;
- Possesses excellent social media skills;
- Possesses excellent computer skills;
- Has experience working with Excel, and Google Suites;
- Is able to multi-task; is detail-oriented and flexible;
- Is able –– with ease and comfort –– to work from home as part of a remote workforce until COVID-19 re-openings allow for safe gatherings in a common workspace;
- Is self-directed, self-motivated, and has the initiative and ability to work independently;
- Holds, or can acquire, a valid Vulnerable Sector Verification through the Police Reference Check program;
To be an eligible applicant for a Canada Summer Jobs position, youth must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to [email protected] no later than July 13, 2020. We thank all candidates who apply, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about the COC's education and outreach initiatives, please visit our website at learn.coc.ca and coc.ca/Hub for all of our new digital initiatives.
The COC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
About the Canadian Opera Company
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The COC enjoys a loyal audience including a dedicated base of subscribers. Under its leadership team of General Director Alexander Neef and Music Director Johannes Debus, the company has an international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation. Its diverse repertoire includes new commissions and productions, local and international collaborations with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracts the world's foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC Academy is an incubator for the future of the art form, nurturing Canada's new wave of opera creators with customized training and support. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. For more information, visit coc.ca.
About the Education and Outreach Department
The COC stands at the forefront of opera production in Canada and is internationally recognized for its commitment to delivering opera of the highest standards. In addition to the core activities on the mainstage, the COC offers 20 accessible, meaningful and enriching education and outreach programs to a diverse audience of 40,000 children, youth, and adults annually. Working with the COC education and outreach team, individuals gain invaluable arts administration and artist educator experience and learn about the inner workings of a large cultural institution.